Homemade Holiday Granola
You want your child to consume healthy snacks, yet you also realize that she only wants food that tastes good. Here's a compromise to add to your recipe collection! Your child will find this granola irresistibly delicious, and you will be delighted with its healthful ingredients: flax meal, agave nectar, coconut oil, almonds, and dried fruit. There's even an added bonus: Cooking up this mouthwatering mixture will give your child extra fraction practice as well. Packed in parchment paper and pretty ribbon, your child will love giving it as a holiday gift to friends and family.
What You Need:
- 9” x 13” baking dish
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, heated just until melted
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- ¾ cup dried fruit (suggested: ¼ cup raisins, ¼ cup chopped prunes, ¼ cup mixed antioxidant blend fruit – cranberries, blueberries, cherries)
- ¼ cup chocolate morsels
- Parchment paper or plastic bag
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Help your child spray the baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, have your child combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Ask your child to pour the mixture into the baking dish and press down to flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Supervise your child as she puts the dish into the preheated oven. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Allow the granola to cool and then have your child cut it into bars, or break it up to create loose granola.
- Help your child wrap the granola in parchment paper or plastic bags and tie it with a pretty ribbon.